Lord Nazir Ahmed has been jailed for 12 weeks for sending and receiving text messages before he was involved in a fatal crash on the M1.
The court had heard how Lord Ahmed sent and received a series of five text messages while driving in the dark at speeds of, and above, 60mph along a 17-mile stretch of the motorway.
The judge, Mr Justice Wilkie, said that the text messaging had finished before the accident took place and was not connected to the fatal incident.
But he said that using a mobile phone while driving at speeds of 60mph was highly dangerous and only a custodial sentence would be appropriate.
Earlier this month, Lord Ahmed led a delegation to the Turkish Embassy in London to deliver thanks and support to Prime Minister Ragab Tayyeb Erdogan, for taking a courageous and principled stand against Israel.
The delegation comprised of the following members:
1. Lord Nazir Ahmed of Rotherham
2. Dr Daud Abdullah, Muslim Council of Britain & Chair of the Coalition.
3. Mohammad Sawalha, British Muslim Initiative
4. Dr Arafat Madi, Palestinian Return Centre
5. Dilwar Hussain Khan, Secretary-General, Islamic Forum of Europe
6. Mohamed Ali, Islam Channel
7. Faisal Hanjera, Federation of Student Islamic Societies
8. Mawlana Mowdud Hasan, Da’watul Islam
9. Dr Hafiz al-Karmi, Palestinian Forum in Britain
10. Sayed Ferjani, Muslim Association of Britain
All the individuals listed above must surely be aware that had Lord Ahmed been tried in an Islamic state, rather than in England, the Hadud punishment for manslaughter for one who kills unintentionally would be the payment of blood money equivalent to the value of 100 camels.
By that token, Lord Ahmed must be counting his lucky stars.
|Post to del.icio.us|
Filed in: British Identity,Religion