You knew it was going to happen right? Sunny goes on holiday – race riots break out. But the race riots that began in Cronulla Beach, and are spreading elsewhere, have evoked a not-so-surprising reaction from the blogosphere which goes something like: “Well sure the violence is despicable but do you know these Arabs have apparently been harassing Australian women for ages and go around in gangs – they sort of deserve it.”
You know how some people say that the London bombings cannot be justified by the war in Iraq? Funny that the same are trying to make excuses for Sydney’s new ugly face. Welcome to the new (white) victim mentality on race.
Background first. Splat Guy says things went down a bit like this:
* Last weekend some people, probably Lebanese Muslims, bashed a bunch of lifeguards at Cronulla Beach, including knocking one unconscious. They also harassed girls and women on the beach.
* Residents, pissed off by the violence, got angry at the lack of police attendance and presence.
* The anger morphed into a rage that the beach was being “invaded” by people from the western suburbs (i.e., a euphemism for Lebanese Muslims).
* Some people started texting to incite others to “defend the beach” from thugs.
* Today they did that by forming a violent, rowdy mob.
Gangs of Lebanese men have since been retaliating with violence. Idiots.
Maybe there are gangs of Arab men. There are gangs of different races and groups in almost every city in the world.
Maybe some Arab men abused white women for wearing bikinis. Or it could be an urban myth cooked up in the wake of what happened (remember the 14 yr old girl raped by 21 Asian men in B’ham?). But let’s assume there are abusive pervs on the beach. Which country doesn’t have them? Blame the police for not keeping order.
But no, instead bloggers are too busy polishing their victim mentality by making excuses for these sad excuses for humanity. If white supremacist groups can step in and exploit the situation for their own purposes, you get the idea on which way the wind was blowing.
The subtext isn’t the Lebanese, it is how Australia has become so racist.
This is the country where thinly-veiled racism against outside immigrants has been on the election agenda consistently. For a country built on immigration and still endless free space, the spectre of “outsiders” destroying the Australian way of life, or spreading terrorism has been constant.
And now John Howard is surprised that his own citizens have been expressing racism? As they say down under – pull the other one matey. The chickens have come home to roost.
|Post to del.icio.us|
Filed in: Race politics,The World