There are going to be marches in India, Canada, America and Dubai this Sunday to protest against female feticide in India, and specifically the case of Dr. Mitu Khurana, an Indian doctor who is fighting to protect her daughters and have her former in-laws and a hospital for forcing her to undergo an illegal ultrasound test (as well as poisoning her . More details below from the campaign:
This is for innumerable daughters who lost their lives before getting their lives. And for the mother who is fighting the system to save her daughters “March for India’s Missing girls, March for Mitu” is a part of a global initiative to protest against the government indifference to the continuously declining sex ratios. This is to protest against the improper implementation of the act which bans sex determination- Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques regulation act (P.C-P.N.D.T Act), resulting in a large number of Female feticides taking place. Delhi`s sex ratios have dropped to 821 females per 1000 girls.
The March also aims to protest against the harassment being meted out to Dr Mitu Khurana who is the first complainant under the P.C-P.N.D.T act, and is still struggling to save her daughters.
The major Goals and Objectives of “March for India`s Missing girls, March for Mitu” are-
1. Protest the daily murder of over 7000 baby girls in India.
2. To create awareness and remember the victims of this genocide.
3. To pressure the Indian government to enforce the laws to protect these baby girls and their mothers.
4. To collect signatures for Justice for Dr Mitu, who is fighting a lone fight to save her daughters.
5. To protest against the harassment by the Authorities who have tried their best to force Dr Mitu to withdraw her cases under P.C-P.N.D.T act.
6. To demand that the Authorities stop shielding the guilty under the P.C-P.N.D.T act, so that more women can come forward and report sex determination and save their daughters.
The Global Walk for India’s Missing Girls will be held on March 6th, 2011, in conjunction with the themes of International Women Day and is aimed to create awareness and spur action in the Indian and the International communities. The Walk will also take place in San Francisco, Washington DC, New York, Mumbai, Delhi, Jamshedpur, Kolkata , Chandigarh, Chennai, Agra, Goa, Bangalore, Goa, Sri Ganganagar, Dubai, Toronto and Vancouver and maybe Chicago
Students and friends from International Institute of Health Management Research, Campaign Against Pre-birth elimination of Females and Center for Human Progress have already collected almost 12, 000 signatures from all over the country in support of Dr Mitu Khurana.
The signatures already collected and those collected during the march, will be handed over to the Honorable Health Minister of India on Monday 7th March.
BE THERE and help us spread the word to show you care. DO YOUR PART AGAINST THIS GENOCIDE…AND BE A PART OF THIS MARCH.
|Post to del.icio.us|
Filed in: 'Honour'-based violence,Sex equality